When I moved out of my apartment I knew it was time for a major upgrade so I planned on selling my old couch and buying a new one. However things don’t always turn out like planned SO in the chaos of living in two places at once and moving back and forth between apartments that were 30 minutes away I didn’t advertise my couch very well, I did have a few and by a few I mean two interested buyers, one lady seemed really excited about it, I was going to sell it to her for $50 dollars, I just wanted to get rid of it and it was still a really nice couch, there was only one major rip on one of the seats and I just flipped it over. Long story short, that ended up falling through and on the last day of me being at my old apartment cleaning and such I ended up having to throw it away because I didn’t have time to go and rent a U-Haul or anything like that to re-locate it. I really should have donated it but the people couldn’t come during the time that I needed them to so everything was very last minute.
While watching my lovely couch sit by the dumpster I decided I could at least take the couch cushions and make something out of them. Since I was couch less, I essentially only had a chair I thought it would be nice for floor seating in the mean-time. I’m a big fan of drinking wine Indian style. However I was really looking forward to an upgrade nonetheless so I bought some fabric from Jo-Ann’s fabric and decided to make some really large cushion covers.
Fabric- $30 (found some really cute pieces on sale!)
I got 3 yards for the solid taupe color on the very top and 2 yards for everything else you see here.
This is the flap design for the front and back. (This solid taupe color fabric will cover the cushion itself, the closed flap design is for easy removal for washing, or changing patterns.)
Design #1 on Cushion #1
Design #2 on Cushion #2
This fabric is just gorgeous, I want to make a scarf out of any remaining material I have.
They are not finished yet, I think I want to go back and get some more fabric to add little rosette buds for cushion #1 and I want to create a cinched boarder for cushion #2. Feel free to send me your creations if you decide to follow a similar idea!
I don’t have any but this is a fun idea for a kids play room, classroom, movie room or basement. It’s a cheaper and faster alternative to re-upholstering all your couch cushions, also you can always give your cushion seats and keep them on your couches much better than a couch cover!
I’m not huge into sewing but with a little help from my mother we come up with some pretty quick solutions. I’ve had this bright pink body pillow since college and after getting rid of most of my college décor and upgrading for a less colorful theme I decided I should keep what I could re-use. I have this wild obsession with taupe, cream and brown.
When I do my bedroom tour you’ll see. In order to match my bedroom set I chose a light taupe fabric, about 3 yards will do. Then I folded the fabric over itself, cut the excess fabric from the sides, and sewed the sides down (there are three) to give it a nice finish. Then flip your fabric inside out and voila! If you have it all planned out it will take you 20 minutes at most.
You can get a Body Pillow cover for anywhere from $10-15. Bed Bath and Beyond has a wide variety of colors for about $10.00, in my case I had bought this fabric on sale and it was just sitting around. The upside to making your own is that you can choose any fabric, texture, print etc. that your little heart desires.
If you haven’t already make sure to check out my bathroom room tour which is just about the same color scheme as my bedroom. I like to throw little splashes of color into the mix such as wisteria purple or coral/mint.
Fist one is up. Stay tuned for den transformed walk in closet! Thanks for watching and sharing. I’m a little sick in this so pardon the voice.
She Loves Interiors – Romantic Style and The French Inspired Home.
I love this decor, it’s so simple, elegant and chic! Thank you hannahsflavour for the wonderful blog post!
I came across this brilliant idea while perusing Pintrest one day. I have a lot of ideas pinned to my DIY Home Décor Board <—— that you can follow here. My plan is to eventually… at some point in my lifetime re-make or re-create what I have pinned here.
-Hot glue gun
I chose Metallic Taupe which I found at Wal-Mart for $9.88 and covered over an old Strawberry painting my friend gave me. I wasn’t planning on using them anymore and didn’t want to use one of my blank canvas’s because I like those for painting.
I bought about $5 dollars worth of fake flowers at the dollar store and popped off their heads!
Next I attempted to arranged the flowers in a pattern that I would like (this took the longest as I’m indecisive), I was going to go with a heart pattern but I knew I wouldn’t want to stare at a heart forever so I just went with a regular oblong design that I could easily morph into a heat by simply removing a few flowers.
Last step I hot glued the flowers on and let it dry for about 10 minutes before setting it upright. Voila!
Here is the “original” piece. I decided I liked the color scheme of the flowers I picked too much to spray-paint over them. However I do like this look for winter, just a few cranberries scatter on this table and it is transformed into a wonderful winter wonderland scene.
I will be utilizing my other strawberry canvas soon. The best part about DIY creations is that you can always tweak them to make it your own. I also didn’t encase my frame in glass as my canvas is significantly smaller than this one, I didn’t want to cheapen the look by adding a plastic frame around it, but I do like the idea!